Match Report: DHC Men's A 3-1 HKCC C

September 12, 2017

 It was all too hot to handle for the Hong Kong Cricket Club; as the Dutch secured a winning start to the season.


The match was played in +34 degree heat as the two teams did their best to create chances in an end-to-end game of hockey. 

As usual against the Cricket Club, the Dutch were expecting a tough game against a well-organised and fit team, and this is what they got.


Both sides struggled to play their nicest hockey in a first half under the beating sun, but both sides creating a series of decent attacks.


Big gaps opened in the Cricket Club's defence as the Dutch took an early lead in the first 20 minutes; Van Mil getting the opening goal at short-distance.


But the first half was to end equal as the Cricket Club were gifted a goal of their own; a touch of football from the Umpire’s feet allowed a break-away attack that led to a one-on-one goal. The first half ended 1-1, with both sides very sweaty and totally exhausted.

The tempo was raised immediately in the second half with both teams refreshed and perhaps that slight percentage increase in performance could bring a positive result in this game - the heat was draining and demanded that extra boost of energy.


Dutch took the lead within the opening 10 minutes as Van Mil opened his scoring account for a second time following a string of passes that started out-wide and finished just inside the circle.


The Dutch defence and attack was being connected well by Jules, who drove forward to attack at every occasion.


With just over 15 minutes left to guarantee a win from the game the Dutch kept their ability to keep creating chances.


Following a string of pressure at in the Cricket Club's half, Berend added a beautiful backhand shot in the high left corner of the goal. 

So the Dutch are off to a winning start and with a few players still to come back next weekend it is looking super positive for the season!


Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

Featured Posts